Hiking up Lion’s Head
- Camps Bay
- Cape town
- health and nature
- Labotessa Blog
- Labotessa Luxury Boutique Hotel
The Lion’s Head hike is a popular one, 5,5 km long, and the mountain is 669 meters high. It takes four hours to get up and down the mountain.
The Hike offers excellent views of the Atlantic Seaboard, Robben Island, and the city centre.
Here are some tips for hiking up Lion’s Head:
- Never hike alone
- Choose your route before you arrive at the mountain. Start at the parking area on Signal Hill Road
- Bring a flashlight and headlights for Full Moon hikes
- Get a weather forecast – a cloud covering the top of the mountain denotes rain is on the way the next day
- Shoes should have a good grip, as the walking paths can be slippery
- Bring enough water.
- Hike Lion’s Head organises hikes up the mountain.
- Do not be over-confident when hiking – some experienced international mountain climbers have lost their lives on the mountain
- Metal ladders and climbing chains near the top can be replaced with a roundabout footpath.
- Friendly fellow climbers will provide information, or a push or pull up.
- Dogs are allowed, but must be kept on a leash.
- Mountain biking is not allowed.
- Have enough battery power and airtime in your phone, and save these numbers: 086 110 6417 and 021 480 7700.
- Happy Hiking!
Labotessa Luxury Boutique Hotel…….’like no other in Cape Town’.
Labotessa Luxury Boutique Hotel, 5 Church Square, Parliament Street. Tel (021) 010-6600 www.labotessa.com